ROUND 3: New Beverly Season: ‘Films Edgar Has Never Seen’

Okay, this is where it gets tough. The lists I got from you guys on the site and independently from some fancy friends were amazing, but it’s a complete embarrassment of riches which I must put into double bills with your help!

So my brainwave was this. There are gaps in movie watching and I dearly want to fill them on the big silver screen and not sat at home with a DVD. So the New Beverly have kindly let me take over with a festival of the unseen (to me).

Below are the surviving movies in this knockout round. It’s enough to fill five seasons (and it still may). When I myself get through this list I am fully expecting to be bathed in the white light of complete cinematic fulfilment.

So I want you to make your dream double bills. I have four nights, which means 8 films to screen and I want you to theme these and pair them up. Note that ‘Buckeroo Banzai’ will be a stand alone midnight movie. Also be aware that ‘Gone With The Wind’ is four hours long and can’t be part of a double bill.

So thanks to all who suggested the films listed below. From Quentin Tarantino (who listed 10 movies currently on his mind) to Daniel Waters and Bill Hader (their lists stretched into the hundreds). Look below for picks from Landis, Del Toro, Dante, Apatow, Whedon, Mottola, Schwartzman, Doug Benson, Rian Johnson, Larry Karaszeski, Josh Olson, Harry Knowles and hundreds of you on this blog.

It’s quite the list. And since it’s in order of votes so far, it’s perhaps the only time you will find ‘Ichi The Killer’ and ‘Gone With The Wind’ placed next to each other.

Gone from the list? Everything that received no votes and also ‘Persona’, ‘Wild Strawberries’ and ‘Bigger Than Life’. Why? Because I couldn’t wait and I watched them already. And apologies to anyone not credited for their pick. Cross-referencing a 1000 replies and all these lists is a bitch.

Okay. Pair these movies up and program ‘Movies Edgar Hasn’t Seen’ for me.

The season with be December 9th to the 16th, so let’s get to it.

THE MOST POPULAR FILMS SO FAR ARE…

ICHI THE KILLER

GONE WITH THE WIND (Suggested by Bill Hader)

THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKEROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION

CHUNGKING EXPRESS (Suggested by Greg Mottola, Daniel Waters & Bill Hader)

MODERN TIMES (Suggested by Bill Hader)

PRINCESS MONONOKE

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (Suggested by Rian Johnson & Bill Hader)

THRONE OF BLOOD (Suggested by John Landis)

TOKYO DRIFTER

ALL ABOUT EVE

BARFLY (Suggested by Josh Olson)

HARVEY (Suggested by Joe Dante)

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (Suggested by Bill Hader)

BREAKING AWAY (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

DEFENDING YOUR LIFE

SHERLOCK JR (Suggested by John Landis)

STALKER

SUICIDE CLUB (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

SUPERSTAR: THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

THE BAD NEWS BEARS (’76) (Suggested by Doug Benson & Bill Hader)

BATTLE OF ALGIERS (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

CUTTER’S WAY (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME

THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP

THE OLD DARK HOUSE (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

PORCO ROSSO

RAISE THE RED LANTERN

ROMAN HOLIDAY (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

STAR ‘80 (Suggested by Jason Schwartzman & Bill Hader)

TALK TO HER

2046

5000 FINGERS OF DR T. (Suggested by Harry Knowles)

THE AWFUL TRUTH

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (’46)

BOB LE FLAMBEUR

CAPTAIN BLOOD (Suggested by Harry Knowles)

CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER

F IS FOR FAKE

HIGH AND LOW (Suggested by Rian Johnson)

JULES AND JIM (Suggested by Bill Hader)

THE OTHER (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

TWO FOR THE ROAD

UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (Suggested by Joss Whedon & Bill Hader)

A FACE IN THE CROWD (Suggested by Bill Hader)

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS

THE CHINA SYNDROME

CALIFORNIA SPLIT

CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (Suggested by Bill Hader)

COME AND SEE (Suggested by Larry Karaszewski)

GET CRAZY (Suggested by Quentin Tarantino)

GOKE, BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES

HUD (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

IMITATION OF LIFE

KIKUJIRO

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (Suggested by John Landis)

NIGHTS OF CABIRIA

PARK ROW (Suggested by Joe Dante)

POSSESSION (’81) (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

THE QUIET MAN (Suggested by Bill Hader)

RED BEARD (Suggested by Bill Hader)

SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE

THEY SHOOT HORSES DON’T THEY?

THE THIEF OF BAGDAD

THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

THE UNKNOWN

BABY DOLL (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

THE BAD SLEEP WELL

THE COURT JESTER (Suggested by Joe Dante)

DOGS IN SPACE

FORTY GUNS (Suggested by Bill Hader)

KITTEN WITH A WHIP

KRAMER VS KRAMER (Suggested by Bill Hader)

THE LION IN WINTER

LOS OLVIDADOS (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN

THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN’S CREEK (Suggested by Bill Hader)

MIKEY AND NICKEY (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND

A NEW LEAF (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

ONE, TWO, THREE (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

QUACKSER FORTUNE HAS A COUSIN IN THE BRONX

SAHARA (Suggested by John Landis & Harry Knowles)

SCARECROW (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

STEAMBOAT BILL JR – (Suggested by Judd Apatow)

TO BE OR NOT TO BE (Suggested by John Landis, Joe Dante)

TROUBLE IN PARADISE (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

800 BULLETS (Suggested by Larry Karaszweski)

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

BALL OF FIRE

THE BANK DICK (Suggested by Judd Apatow & Bill Hader)

BLACK MAMA WHITE MAMA

BURN (Suggested by Daniel Waters & Larry Karaszweski)

THE CABIN IN THE SKY (From Harry Knowles)

THE CONFORMIST (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

DESPERATE (Suggested by Joe Dante)

DIARY OF A MAD HOUSEWIFE (Suggested by Daniel Waters, Larry Karaszweski & Greg Mottola)

ELITE SQUAD

FADE TO BLACK (Suggested by Julia Marchese)

FEAR IS THE KEY

THE GAMBLER

HE WHO GETS SLAPPED

HOLIDAY

HOW THE WEST WAS WON (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

JUDEX

THE KREMLIN LETTER

THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (’34) (Suggested by Rian Johnson)

MONGOL (Suggested by Harry Knowles)

MR. VAMPIRE

LA NOTTE (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

NOTHING LASTS FOREVER

THE NUTTY PROFESSOR (’63) (Suggested by Doug Benson)

OUR HOSPITALITY

PATTON (Suggested by Larry Karaszewski)

THE REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD (Suggested by Quentin Tarantino)

THE RED SQUIRREL

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY

SONGS FROM THE SECOND FLOOR

SHARK SKIN MAN AND THE PEACH HIP GIRL

SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER (Suggested by Bill Hader)

SILVER STREAK (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

SON OF FRANKENSTEIN

STRAY DOG (Suggested by Bill Hader)

THE TALL T

TERROR OF TINY TOWN

THAT SUMMER

TIMES SQUARE (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

TOPSY TURVY

UNDERWORLD U.S.A

URGH! THE MUSIC WAR (Suggested by Jason Schwartzman)

VENUS IN FURS

WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER?

A COLT IS MY PASSPORT

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL (Suggested by Joss Whedon & Joe Dante)

BEDLAM (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

THE BIG GUNDOWN

BIG JAKE (Suggested by Larry Karaszewski)

BONJOUR TRISTESSE

THE CHALLENGE

CODE UNKNOWN

THE COWBOYS (Suggested by Josh Olson)

CRAZED FRUIT

DANCING OUTLAW

DAYS OF BEING WILD

DEPARTURES

DON’T MAKE WAVES

THE DREAMLIFE OF ANGELS (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

FEMALE CONVICT: 701 SCORPION (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

FORTRESS (’85)

THE GIRL ON THE BRIDGE

GOING IN STYLE (Suggested by Josh Olson)

GUNGA DIN (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

HICKEY AND BOGGS (Suggested by Quentin Tarantino & Daniel Waters)

HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL

HOUR OF THE WOLF

INHERIT THE WIND

THE INFORMER (Suggested by Bill Hader)

INTERSTELLA 5555: THE 5TORY OF THE 5ECRET 5TAR 5YSTEM

IVAN’S CHILDHOOD

JOHN AND MARY (Suggested by Larry Karaszewski)

KING OF MARVIN GARDENS (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

KWAIDAN (Suggested by Guillermo Del Toro & John Landis)

LANDSCAPES IN THE MIST

THE LATE SHOW (Suggested by Daniel Waters & Josh Olson)

LAST SUMMER (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

LIQUID SKY

LOLA (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

MAN’S FAVOURITE SPORT

MAUVAIS SANG (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

MATADOR

MEET JOHN DOE

THE MIRACLE WORKER (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

MIRAGE

MOROCCO (Suggested by Quentin Tarantino)

NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER

NINOTCHKA (Suggested by Bill Hader)

OPENING NIGHT (Suggested by Jason Schwartzman)

PEPI, LUCI, BOM

THE PUMPKIN EATER (Suggested by Greg Mottola & Daniel Waters)

QUAI DES ORFEVRES

RED RIVER (Suggested by John Landis & Bill Hader )

ROAD HOUSE (’48)

THE SCHOOL OF HOLY BEASTS (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

THE SERVANT

THE SHANGHAI GESTURE (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

SOME CAME RUNNING (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

TESIS (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

TOPKAPI (Suggested by Harry Knowles)

TO BE TWENTY

TWENTIETH CENTURY (Suggested by John Landis)

VAMPIRE CIRCUS

THE WAR GAME

BEAT THE DEVIL

EASTERN CONDORS (Suggested by Quentin Tarantino)

EL DORADO (Suggested by Quentin Tarantino)

FORCE OF EVIL

GIANTS AND TOYS (Suggested by Greg Mottola)

THE GIRL CAN’T HELP IT (Suggested by Joe Dante)

THE IN LAWS (’79) (Suggested by Doug Benson)

J.W.COOP

KISS ME STUPID

LORD LOVE A DUCK (Suggested by Daniel Waters)

ON DANGEROUS GROUND (Suggested by Joe Dante)

THE PROFESSIONALS (Suggested by Harry Knowles)

RETURN FROM THE ASHES (Suggested by Quentin Tarantino)

THE WESTERNER (Suggested by Quentin Tarantino)

So what are you waiting for. Let’s get billing…

Comments

332 Responses to “ROUND 3: New Beverly Season: ‘Films Edgar Has Never Seen’”
  1. thumbs up. i call xtra credit to this guy.

…also, dr. Seuss wrote a movie? … !!!

2. Yikes.  You need to see RAISE THE RED LANTERN on the big screen, but I can’t find a good double-bill for that one– maybe BEAUTY AND THE BEAST for the gorgeous cinematography? And I’m struggling with a double-bill for A FACE IN THE CROWD.  But here are my picks:

THE PROFESSIONALS / RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (aging cowboys back in the fight)
    GET CRAZY / URGH! A MUSIC WAR (best snapshots of New Wave music ever)
    THE KREMLIN LETTER / ONE, TWO, THREE (the decline of the Iron Curtain)
    HICKEY AND BOGGS / HIGH AND LOW (justice gone awry)
    FORTY GUNS/UNDERWORLD USA (Sam Fuller– though my fave is HOUSE OF BAMBOO)
    THE IN-LAWS/THE BAD NEWS BEARS (great, iconic ’70’s comedies)
    CUTTER’S WAY/THE KING OF MARVIN GARDENS (friendships tested with amoral leads – West Coast vs. East Coast)

Thank God I live a lot closer to the New Bev now that I got married and moved into my wife’s condo!

3. #1
    ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN & OLD DARK HOUSE – two funny and creepy around the edges monster movies. #2THE TALL T & THE BIG GUNDOWN – #3GUNGA DIN & EASTERN CONDORS – rescue missions against incredible odds#4NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER & SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE – what will you do to get a killer double featurethough to tell the truth, anything in that list would be great.

4. Brian K. says:

For sure:
     BUCKEROO BANZAI (Peter Weller  Q&A would be awesome) .Times Square / Liquid Sky – Great scenes of early 80’s NYCCutter’s Way / Chilly Scenes of Winter – John Heard Q & A ?Still figuring out what else to add.Maybe include something with Fortress. Fortress with Rachel Ward is good. Hell, anything from the 80’s with a hot Rachel Ward is good.

5. Brian K. says:

BUCKEROO BANZAI for sure and I would love
    Times Square/ Liquid Sky- For some great scenes of early 80’s NYC.
    Cutter’s Way / Chilly Scenes of Winter- John Heard at his best ( Q& A with John?)
    I am still figuring out what else but try to get Fortress with Rachel Ward.  Haven’t seen Fortress in a while and I would love to revisit it on the big screen.

6. bergkamp says:

The Life and death of Colonel Blimp
    Unfaithfully YoursGreat comedy, great tracking shots, a british flavor.

7. Nelson Núñez says:

…And my midnight movie suggestion would be: POSSESSION…really crazy stuff, featuring the beautiful and intense Isabelle Adjani.

8. Will Feng says:

Nausica Valley of the Wind/Porco Rosso would be a great classic Japanese animation night! Princess Mononoke might be too long…?
    I could lend the theater my Porco Rosso cels for display that night. :)I know it’s not on the list but if you did Girl Who Leapt Through Time, maybe it could be doubled with Summer Wars? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wi2lb1sVk8Both are directed by Mamoru Hosoda.

9. Mike says:

Female Prisoner: 701 Scorpion should definately be seen in a complete Female Prisoner Triple bill (Scorpion, Jailhouse 41 and Beast Stable)

10. I would fly down from Seattle for these double features….

As someone else mentioned, and Elia Kazan double….A Face in the Crowd/Baby Doll, I love both of these so much!

If that’s the 1980 Times Square, then Times Square and Liquid Sky for some 80’s nuttiness.

Almodovar double of Pepi, Luci, Bom (the first film I ever saw at the New Beverly), and Talk to Her.

11. Sherlock Jr./The Man Who Knew Too Much (34) – Look, I know you don’t know me and have no reason to trust me, but trust John Landis + whatever I add to the equation when I say that Sherlock Jr. is the most mind-blowing thing ever committed to film. I cannot believe you haven’t seen it yet. I think you’d absolutely love it. Toss in The Man Who Knew Too Much (which is also kind of a campy detective flick) and you’ve got one hell of an evening.

Also, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence/Kicking and Screaming – Two very different takes on the whole “end of an era” concept.

12. tubar says:

many of these are available on dvd.  how about Cockfighter (Monte Hellman)?

13. Ant Timpson says:

Edgar I have 35mms of some of these if you need em. Real shame LAST SUMMER has not been found on print anywhere. That film delivers a sucker punch.

Sometimes I think the natural obvious pairings don’t make the best (or most memorable) doubles at all.

Sometimes great pairings are the ones that only appear to synch only once you see them back to back, without the obvious advance narrative ties.

And you never forget those unusual double bills. They linger much longer than your traditional ‘two gambler films’ pairings. I’ll never forget Joysticks and Salon Kitty being double billed. I mean WTF were they thinking?  Nearly 25 years on though I can vividly remember that experience.

Can’t wait to see your final line-up!  Best of luck.

14. Rick says:

Wow, so many good films here!Here are a few suggestions -LIQUID SKY / URGH! A MUSIC WAR – Double feature of great 1980’s New Wave/Punk films with some truly surreal moments in both. They are like time capsules that really could have only been made then and would be fun to see on a big screen again.
    ICHI THE KILLER / THE BAD NEWS BEARS – Well they are both funny, but more importantly this would be the most f**ked double feature ever.
    MR. VAMPIRE / VAMPIRE CIRCUS – Two very different but very good vampire films.
    DEPARTURES / SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE – They both made me cry. Show DEPARTURES last because you’ll need something to help regain your faith in humanity after MR. VENGEANCE.I’d love to see SONGS FROM THE SECOND FLOOR on a big screen, but I have no idea what to double feature it with besides another Roy Andersson film because he is so unique. Maybe STEAMBOAT BILL JR. Even though they are very different films, Mr. Andersson does use many techniques from the silent film era.

15. Haruka Sometani says:

I’m so happy to hear that the Wright Stuff is back so soon!

You HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO see “5000 Fingers of Dr T”. You’ll feel your life is even more complete after that. Some people may watch this film as a joke (Booooo! Respect!), but I sincerly love this film. I even made my very own Happy Fingers hat for a Halloween costume one year.

– 5000 Fingers of Dr. T
    – Femal Convict: 701 Scorpion (This sounds like a badass movie– Meiko Kaji rules!)
    – Dancing Outlaw (I feel like this should be a bonus third film. Jesco White is truly a fascinating man!)

– Suicide Club
    – Departure
    I haven’t seen either one, and I always wanted to see them! Both about death– awesome.

– Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (I’ve never seen this in a big screen!)
    – Princess Mononoke
    This will be a very good study of how far Hayao Miyazaki has come along in his animations. Nausicaa was my personal favorite for a long time, including the original comics. I love The Castle in the Sky too. I didn’t think he could top himself on his already accomplished career… until he made Princess Mononoke. I was in awe of the level of the animation quality he brought to Princess Mononoke. It was like Nausicaa x 10. I see a lot of similarities between these two films, and they remain my personal favorite to this day. Then of course, he topped himself yet again with Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle, but that’s another double feature… Porco Rosso is his “man’s man” film which you might enjoy more in that sense.

– Tokyo Drifter
    – Crazed Fruit
    I worked on the subitles for Criterion’s Crazed Fruit and had so much fun with it. I haven’t seen it since then and would love to see it on a big screen. A classic “seishun” (the youth) film beautifully shot in 50s fashion.

– High and Low
    – The Bad Sleep Well
    I’ve seen both films, and I think they are underrated. This is a perfect double bill theme-wise. If you want to see Toshiro Mifune in non-samurai modern roles, these are it! He looks very dandy in The Bad Sleep Well which is truly an amazing film. I can’t express enough how good this film is– so good that it hurts.

I realized that I just picked mostly Japanese films. Sorry. You always amaze me with your educating picks for the Wright Stuff. I can’t wait!

16. Greyson says:

Harvey, most definitely. That film does not get enough love and I think the fact that it stars James Stewart playing a guy with an imaginary rabbit friend is reason enough to screen it.

17. SleepyVampire says:

Dead and Breakfast…fun, gory, and a must for every good horror movie, a zombie dance sequence.

18. Totoroish13 says:

Mauvais Sang/Chilly Scenes of Winter/Cutter’s Way; Chimes at Midnight/La Notte; Last Summer/The War Game.

They’re not on the list, but maybe THE PLAGUE DOGS/WHEN THE WIND BLOWS (Bleak British animated films of the 1980’s).
    You’ve probably seen them,
    but what the hell: Bill Forsyth’s BREAKING IN and HOUSEKEEPING (Sony
    made a new print of the latter in 2010)

19. Edgar Wright says:

Just from the list.

20. Edgar Wright says:

I have seen it! On network TV too!

21. Edgar Wright says:

Oh. I like your ‘LOVE MEANS NEVER LETTING GO’ idea.

22. Edgar Wright says:

You’re right – I would.

23. Edgar Wright says:

I say ‘boo’ to your ‘laaame’. At least I am man enough to admit such gaps!

24. Edgar Wright says:

Pick from the list!

25. Andrew G says:

So many I don’t know, so many possibilities.

PORCO ROSSO/PATTON – There’s a thought of honor in the time of war that comes to mind.
    ONE, TWO, THREE/SILVER STREAK – American comedy by great actors.
    CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT/THRONE OF BLOOD – Shakespeare interpreted.
    PRINCESS MONONOKE/ICHI THE KILLER – No, I don’t know how they go together… rationally!
    A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS/THE LION IN WINTER – Actors ACTING (And I’m glad my choice for TLIW made it to the 2nd list)

December, eh?

Time to save up my coinage!

26. Johnny says:

Ichi the Killer with Sympathy for Mr Vengeance for revenge flicks
    Kicking and Screaming with The Girl on the Bridge because it deals with young people trying to figure out what to do with their lives
    High and Low with Talk to her for mystery and suspense
    Lola with Umbrellas of Cherbourg for musicals that go together
    hope this helps. I tried to pair them where they’re similar but not too much the same
    Hope you like them and see you in Dec

27. Jimmy Lewis says:

Repo Man, Therese and Isabelle, The Search for Animal Chin (Powell Peralta), North Shore, Akira

28. Christainjmcdonald says:

Easy Rider (suggested by Christian McDonad)

29. Marcus Carter says:

Great list! Imitation of life and Kramer Vs. Kramer would get my vote for a cool double bill.

30. Binzer007 says:

All great choices, but being a fan of your films, I can’t believe you’ve never seen 500 fingers of Dr. T. Also, any chance to see Chungking Express in a theater again is a Godsend.

31. Joe says:

I really think you’d love Princess Mononoke. One of the most beautiful and powerful animated films I’ve seen. I feel like Miyazaki would be right up your alley.

32. John Damer says:

Silver Streak and The In-Laws were both directed back-to-back by Arthur Hiller. That seems like an easy double.

33. G.W. Elmer says:

HOLIDAY followed by GUNGA DIN…a Cary Grant night!

34. Dan Gross says:

If you’re up for screening some unusually-highbrow cult films (which I tend to think you haven’t seen, Edgar), I recommend “Mondo Cane” or “A Boy and His Dog”.

35. A + P says:

Hitman Double Feature: Murder By Contract and Blast Of Silence

36. Gillian Horvat says:

This list looks incredible. I’d kill to see rare films like TESIS and A NEW LEAF on 35mm. When you’re programming please consider the availability of the films and what’s been shown around here recently. CHUNGKING EXPRESS has had two Criterion releases already and COME AND SEE was shown at the New Bev three weeks ago.

37. arlyss says:

I would very much like to see the Kazan double bill of:

A FACE IN THE CROWD&BABY DOLL

Both of which I’ve not seen and have been waiting for them to be screened as I’ve heard they’re incredible.

38. JeffreyR says:

Million Dollar legs (W.c Fields)
    Duck Soup

Hellzapoppin’ (Might be hard due to rights issues)

Pitfall (1948)
    Tall Target

Jeff Rosen (Former New Bev programmer)

39. NIghts of Cabiria w/ The Conformist
    Kramer Vs. Kramer w/ Bad News BearsThey Shoot Horses w/ Kitten With a Whipand now very curious about Princess Mononoke & The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

40. Great list! My new goal is to watch all of them!

41. Great list! My new life goal is to watch them all!

42. themoviedoc says:

THE GIRL ON THE BRIDGE & CHUNGKING EXPRESS

THE THIEF OF BAGDAD & CAPTAIN BLOOD

INTERSTELLA 5555: THE 5TORY OF THE 5ECRET 5TAR 5YSTEM & THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKEROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION

So happy to see Girl on the Bridge on the list!

43. Cahcat says:

So hard to choose!!! But here’s a few pairs and just a few recommendations of things to see:THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKEROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION
    CHUNGKING EXPRESS with 2046A NEW LEAF with  LORD LOVE A DUCK
    HARVEY with ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (Suggested by Bill Hader)
    BREAKING AWAY and FADE TO BLACKTHEY SHOOT HORSES DON’T THEY? with THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURGTHE COURT JESTER with THE CABIN IN THE SKY
    THE THIEF OF BAGDADINHERIT THE WIND

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT

CRAZED FRUITTHE GIRL ON THE BRIDGELIQUID SKYNIGHTMARE ALLEY (Suggested by Daniel Waters)
    THE GIRL CAN’T HELP IT (Suggested by Joe Dante)
    ON DANGEROUS GROUND with NIGHT OF THE JUGGLERTHE PROFESSIONALS and THE WESTERNER

Hot Damn !

Gone With the Wind

The Old Dark House /Captain Blood
    Mr. Vampire/Son of Frankenstein/Vampire Circus

will be interesting to see what movies you pick :)

45. themoviedoc says:

I’ll bookmark this list!

Last time, it made me discover The Wanderers and Miami Blues!

46. Mike P says:

Ugh, limits…

I will state that I am assuming GONE WITH THE WIND will happen, so here then are my four nights in order of desire:

1: THE OLD DARK HOUSE b/w THE UNKNOWN

2: MIRACLE OF MORGAN’S CREEK b/w IT’S A GIFT

3: THE AWFUL TRUTH b/w BALL OF FIRE

4: CABIN IN THE SKY b/w EL DORADO

Regardless, see you the 9th through the 16th.

47.  Ugh, I want to pair The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T with The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.  But I guess you’ve already seen that one.

Princess Mononoke & Girl Who Leapt Through Time.  Two different anime masters at work. I’ve seen the first on the big screen and it is stunning.  Always wanted to see the second.

Throne of Blood & The Bad Sleep Well.  Kurosawa examining political intrigue and backstabbing, using Shakespeare as his guide. Throne of Blood is my favorite screen adaptation of Macbeth, and Bad Sleep Well uses Hamlet as inspiration.  Both riveting.

Kikujiro & Songs From the Second Floor.  These are hilarious, surreal, wonderful experiences from two great observers of human behavior.  Sherlock Jr. could fit into this one for a triple.

Beauty and the Beast (’46) & Stalker.  Having not seen either, I
    don’t know if they’ll work together. I just selfishly want to make sure
    they’re included.

• Edgar Wright says:

I really want to see Songs From The Second Floor on the big screen. I feel like it’s been ripped off a lot in the last ten years and it’s a big screen movie.

• Anonymous says:

Yeah, I’ve only seen Andersson’s films at home, which makes me feel like I’ve only half-seen them.  I like You, the Living even more than Songs From Second Floor, but that could be because it’s the first film of his that I saw.

49. Edgar Wright says:

I kind of have been. Ha!

50. Edgar Wright says:

Yes, the originals of both.

51. Edgar Wright says:

The original ‘Unfaithfully Yours’.

52. Edgar Wright says:

I just saw a restored uncut print of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS at the BFI in London and it was amazing.

53. TS Faull says:

Two for the Road
    John and Mary

Possession
    Liquid Sky

Tesis
    Matador

The Reincarnation of Peter Proud (this is so rare, this would be great in 35mm)
    The Other

Midnight movie: Vampire Circus OR Fade to Black

54. Shizukodc says:

Cannibal The musical should have been on there :(

55. Edgar Wright says:

The Ford into Peckinpah idea is a doozy. I have DVDs of both of those movies on my shelf, but I want to see them on the big screen dammit.

What about RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY & THE PROFESSIONALS.

Yes to a new leaf

1: All about eve and trouble in paradise

2: The Bad News Bears and The In Laws

3: F is for Fake and Chimes at Midnight

4: Stray Dog and Grave of the Fireflys

58. Samuel Rome says:

Harvey
    Sherlock Jr. (Its running time is roughly 40mins, so I say this should be a triple bill)
    Defending Your Life

59. Ryangilbey says:

A NEW LEAF must be included, and paired with THE BANK DICK. Walter Matthau + WC Fields: two prickly comic geniuses with faces like boxing gloves.

60. Jaime Grijalba says:

Anime Double Feature – Female Power:
    NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF THE WINDTHE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME

Japanese Humanism Double Feature:DEPARTURESRED BEARD

I can’t believe you haven’t seen them Double Feature:
    THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADREMODERN TIMESOnly you can see them Double Feature:OPENING NIGHTHARVEY

61. you HAVE to see 5000 FINGERS OF DR T. but I can’t think of anything that would go with it!He Who Gets Slapped & The Unknown , Meet John Doe & Harvey, Ninotchka & Ball of Fire, Modern Times & Holiday, All About Eve & A Face in the Crowd.

62. Edgar Wright says:

I have seen The Mirror as it happens. Good picks otherwise.

63. Metroland says:

1. TROUBLE IN PARADISE/THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG. Lubitsch’s comedy is directed like it’s a musical, and has the rhythms of a musical, though there’s no rhyming dialog and none of the characters break into song. Every single word is sung in Demy’s drama, but after a while, it doesn’t feel like you’re watching a musical. Go figure.

2. WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER/THE BAD NEWS BEARS. Two brilliant comedies from two directors at the top of their game. Also, both still have edge.

3. SHERLOCK JR/IRMA VEP. Two great movies about the magic (or lack thereof) of the movies.

64. Norm Wilner says:

Also, “Opening Night” and “Irma Vep” — two films about actresses in search of direction, and two films that take considerable pleasure in dissecting their chosen art forms. (Theater for Cassavetes, cinema for Assayas.)

65. Captain Blood w/ A Man For All Seasons

Modern Times w/ The Man Who Knew Too Much

Bad News Bears w/ Silver Streak

The Professionals w/ The Treasure of Sierra Madre

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance w/ El Dorado

Patton (by itself)

Stray Dog w/ Throne Of Blood

Star 80 w/ Ichi the Killer

66. Wickedgoddess says:

The Old Dark House and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
    F is for Fake and Chimes at Midnight
    Unfaithfully Yours and The Awful Truth (I love the idea for this double bill!)
    Magic Christian and 5000 Fingers of Dr. T

67. Wickedgoddess says:

The Old Dark House and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
    F is for Fake and Chimes at Midnight
    Unfaithfully Yours and The Awful Truth (I love the idea for this double bill!)
    Magic Christian and 5000 Fingers of Dr. T

The first obvious pairing to me is One, Two, Three with Kiss Me, Stupid. Two brilliant and under seen Billy Wilder films. Then I’d pair The Umbrellas of Cherbourg with Jules and Jim, two beautiful, tragic French romances. Then it makes too much sense not to pair Our Hospitality with Sherlock Jr simply because more Buster Keaton is always a good thing. Finally I’d pair To Be Or Not To Be with Trouble In Paradise because allowing the Lubitsch Touch to be felt by more people is of the utmost importance. For the midnight showing I’d say Captain Blood since that’s some good swashbuckling.

70. Mr. Peel says:

This is too hard.

Here are a few pairings that come to mind:

To Be Or Not To Be and Going in Style–Benny & Burns.

Mickey & Nicky and Hickey & Boggs–for obvious reasons. California Split and The In-Laws would fit in here as well.

Diary of a Mad Housewife & The Umbrellas of Cherbourg–um…women’s lives out of control? You could of course substitute Lola for Diary since Lola & Umbrellas go together anyway.

One Two Three & Get Crazy–the fastest comedies imaginable? I want to include Get Crazy but I haven’t seen any of the other music choices!

On Dangerous Ground & Road House–Ida Lupino, off-kilter noir.

Man’s Favorite Sport & El Dorado–60s  Hawks!

The Girl Can’t Help It & Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter–obvious pairing. Still a great pairing.

I also want to mention things like Barfly, Park Row and Two For The Road, now if only I could think of what to pair them with.

71. Ian W. Hill says:

TIMES SQUARE and URGH! A MUSIC WAR
    CUTTER’S WAY and HICKEY AND BOGGS
    NOTHING LASTS FOREVER and GET CRAZY
    FORCE OF EVIL and HOUR OF THE WOLF

Do you know about being able to get prints of many of these?  I think TIMES SQUARE is hard to find, and usually NOTHING LASTS FOREVER requires the presence of director Tom Schiller and his own print (which is always worth bringing in).  Different prints of URGH! have different musical numbers cut/included.  But all of the above are worth it, and would be great together (though it was hard to leave out the Tashlin/Mansfield masterpieces, I must say).

72. Broccoli2000 says:

Roman Holiday followed by Nights of Cabiria – two very different views of Rome

73. Iv3rdawG says:

As far as movies on the list, Chungking is a must.

74. j hicks says:

You could team up ON DANGEROUS GROUND and STRAY DOG – two noir police movies. THE MAN WHO KNEW TWO MUCH and SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE could form a weird child-kidnapping double bill – although they might not go together that well. MR. VENGEANCE is awesome though.

75. Edgar Wright says:

Only pick from below!

76. Chungking Express and 2046. A night from the master, if I could fly over I would! Incidentally have you seen Fallen Angels? My favourite Wong Kar Wai film.

@grahamwilko

77. MODERN TIMES and STEAMBOAT BILL JR.

PORCO ROSSO and NAUSICAA

THE NUTTY PROFESSOR and ONE, TWO, THREE

I don’t see any ideal pairings for IMITATION OF LIFE, but damn, that’s a great one for the big-screen. Got any other Sirks you haven’t seen?

• Edgar Wright says:

Suggest a perfect double for ‘IMITATION OF LIFE’.

• Well, you could go with ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (’56), to show the transformation of Sirk, from operating within 50s melodrama norms to pretty darn radical. (Also, some of the Rock Hudson scenes, especially the climax, would undoubtedly get big laughs from the crowd). These movies are great for the big-screen, especially if the print is good, because the Technicolor cinematography is just incredible.

If you want to go more modern (and you have probably seen this), then Haynes’ FAR FROM HEAVEN is an absolutely perfect pairing… not only is it essentially a remake of Sirk, but its use of the form to make social commentary was actually pioneered by IMITATION all the way back in ’59. Plus, New Bev has been running a lot of Haynes recently and I think this is the last one they have to show, completing his filmography.

• Edgar Wright says:

I have seen FAR FROM HEAVEN – so that’s out. Probably should have seen them the other way around.

• You could also run with the race theme, too.

The Anthony Hopkins HUMAN STAIN would actually fit rather interestingly, but I don’t want to start hurting ticket sales now. The New Bev needs all the sellouts they can get!

Anyway, hope to see some of the films I haven’t seen as well!

• You could also run with the race theme, too.

Anyway, hope to see some of the films I haven’t seen as well!

‘Faust’ by Jan Svankmaer? ‘The Return of Captain Invincible’ – the Rocky Horror people “do” the superhero genre, starring Alan Arkin and Christopher Lee. ‘Two Hands’ starring Heath Ledger – amazing movie. Finally ‘the Killing box’ zombies give the American Civil war a twist in this tres underrated George Hickenlooper horror.

Gavin – @wardruther on twitter.

Okay, so if BANZAI is standalone, that leaves three nights?  Uncertain.  However, here’s four pairings, in order of priority:

1.  ALL ABOUT EVE/LION IN WINTER (the writing on both is razor sharp, which is why they work together)
    2.  F IS FOR FAKE/QUAI DES ORFEVRES (I really wish that said TOUCH of Evil up top, that would be grand)
    3.  THE UNKNOWN/HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (yes, they are films I would put ahead of these *in general* but seeing them on the big screen hurts my brain)
    4.  PRINCESS MONONOKE/NAUSICAA or THRONE OF BLOOD/RED BEARD (sorry, could not make myself decide)

Also, I think a ROAD HOUSE 48 and ROAD HOUSE 89 double bill would be stupidly awesome.  I will now leave the keyboard and stop thinking about this question.  I promise.  I must.  I will.

80. Norm Wilner says:

“Battle of Algiers” and “The War Game” belong together. But you’ll need PTSD counselors on standby.

81. David Kennedy says:

I would like to suggest 1980’s “Maniac” starring Joe Spinell

82. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE and PRINCESS MONONOKE are both about rumour and myth, and the use of violence to establish authority, in a way. Might not fit together tonally.

Addendum to my previous: either THE CONFORMIST would also work well with GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, as two very different views of losing sides in WW2. Would make for a thoroughly depressing evening, mind.

83. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE and PRINCESS MONONOKE are both about rumour and myth, and the use of violence to establish authority, in a way. Might not fit together tonally.

84. Nate Pester says:

A Sam Fuller double feature of Park Row and Underworld USA would be amazing.

Harvey and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance would make a good pairing.

Princess Mononoke & Porco Rosso

Kicking & Screaming and Chungking Express is my final pairing.

Good luck, Edgar.

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

BARFLY
    HARVEY

ICHI THE KILLER
    TOKYO DRIFTER

87. @ry_couts says:

Miyazaki double bill with Princess Mononoke followed by Porco Rosso.

88. @ry_couts says:

Miyazaki double bill with Princess Mononoke followed by Porco Rosso.

89. Whatdadodat says:

The Bad News Bears and Breaking Away would be an interesting double bill. Harvey and Defending Your Life, perhaps.

90. Both being relatively high on the list, of the same era, and sports related (and also I adore them, but that’s incidental): Breaking Away and Bad News Bears 76.

91. F is for Fake has to be there.

Double bill Battle For Algiers and Patton.

• Edgar Wright says:

And to go with’ F is for Fake’?

• Adam says:

Nothing Lasts Forever might work with F for Fake

Unfaithfully Yours and A New Leaf should work — around the idea of matrimonial homicideThe Conformist and Burn! could work — but it will be a pretty political eveningRide the High Country & El Dorado?.California Split & The GamblerorCalifornia Split & Mikey & Nicky would work.. (though a very devious pairing around the idea of loyalty would be Ride the High Country or El Dorado with Mikey & Nicky)——— … but in this list are there a lot you’ve seen before and know pretty well? I mean, I guess I thought you would’ve seen Chungking Express by now or Tarantino would’ve strapped you into the Alex-DeLarge movie chair

92. Robert Ham says:

The Terror Of Tiny Town w/ Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story
    Urgh: A Music War w/ Buckaroo Banzai

93. Throne of Blood is its own double bill. Just play it again once it’s finished.

94. Pair up THE CONFORMIST with THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP. The former features a protagonist with no morals or convictions of his own, following the crowd; the latter a man who refuses to relax his morals even in the face of annihilation.

95. Zuri says:

Princess Mononoke, Nights of Cabiria, Beauty and the Beast!!!!! (all not voted for very much…but probably cuz they’re popular…it’ll be fun to see what movies get picked!)

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is a must, though I wouldn’t know what to put it with. Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Cabin in the Sky would be in an interesting double feature. You could do an Audrey Hepburn double feature with Roman Holiday and Two For The Road, two great films that are complete polar opposites.

1. [...] mini-festivals. And now he’s doing it again. Only this time, he needs your help. If we can find Films Edgar Wright has never seen, we competence be means to support him in programming his subsequent [...]

2. [...] are the most popular films on the list so far. Head on over to Wright’s blog, Edgar Wright Here and offer up your [...]

3. [...] mini-festivals. And now he’s doing it again. Only this time, he needs your help. If we can find Films Edgar Wright has never seen, we competence be means to support him in programming his subsequent [...]

4. [...] And now he’s doing it again. Only this time, he needs your help. If you can find Films Edgar Wright has never seen, you might be able to assist him in programming his next [...]

5. [...] And now he’s doing it again. Only this time, he needs your help. If you can find Films Edgar Wright has never seen, you might be able to assist him in programming his next [...]

6. [...] Read the list of films to choose from below and make your own suggestions over at Edgar Wright Here. [...]

7. [...] list first came from Wright’s blog, Edgar Wright Here, and was also featured on Ain’t It Cool News. He’s already settled on The Adventures of [...]

8. [...] Yes, Edgar will be programming movies he has never seen. And he wants your input; he has listed the movies under consideration and wants to hear from you what might be good to watch, and what would make good double features. You can click here to see the list. [...]

9. [...] list first came from Wright’s blog, Edgar Wright Here, and was also featured on Ain’t It Cool News. He’s already settled on The Adventures of [...]