Bonus British Film Blog

The Observer recently ran an article covering the best British films of the last 25 years.

They asked me, among many others, to contribute a top ten list of my favourites (Brit spelling).

I was very pleased to do so.

I have to say though. It was a tough list to come up with. Mainly because there are so many grey areas in British film. Some of the films I thought of including were CHILDREN OF MEN, UNITED 93 and BRAZIL.

The first is an American studio film, with a Mexican director, but a UK setting. The second is also American financed made by a British production company, filmed in London, with a British director, but a US setting. The third, an amazing film, is also financed by an American studio (all Universal in fact) and is shot in the UK, but with an American director (although an ex pat).

Confusing stuff.

Other contributors were not so shy about sticking Brazil on their lists, but I tried to keep it simple and not include any grey (Brit spelling) area films.

You can see my top ten here…

Top 10: Edgar Wright, director

Life is Sweet (Mike Leigh, 1991)
Sexy Beast (Jonathan Glazer, 2000)
Dead Man’s Shoes (Shane Meadows, 2004)
Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, 1996)
The Filth and the Fury (Julien Temple, 2000)
Withnail and I (Bruce Robinson, 1987)
Control (Anton Corbijn, 2007)
Hunger (Steve McQueen, 2008)
The Descent (Neil Marshall, 2005)
The Low Down (Jamie Thraves, 2000)

~ For more lists see the Guardian site here.

Top tens are tricky – I tried to adhere to list laws and not feature two films by the same director – for example there are many more Mike Leigh and Shane Meadows films I admire.

Here’s the full list of the films people voted for…

And SHAUN OF THE DEAD makes it in at No. 18, so thank you very much to all those who voted for us.

The Observer Film Quarterly’s Best British films of the last 25 years

1 – TRAINSPOTTING (1996)
2 – WITHNAIL & I (1987)
3 – SECRETS AND LIES (1996)
4 – DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES (1988)
5 – MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE (1985)
6 – NIL BY MOUTH (1997)
7 – SEXY BEAST (2000)
8 – RATCATCHER (1999)
9 – SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (2008)
10 – FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL (1994)
11 – TOUCHING THE VOID (2003)
12 – HOPE AND GLORY (1987)
13 – CONTROL (2007)
14 – NAKED (1993)
15 – UNDER THE SKIN (1997)
16 – HUNGER (2008)
17 – THIS IS ENGLAND (2006)
18 – SHAUN OF THE DEAD (2004)
19 – DEAD MAN’S SHOES (2004)
20 – RED ROAD (2006)
21 – RIFF RAFF (1991)
22 – MAN ON WIRE (2008)
23 – MY SUMMER OF LOVE (2004)
24 – 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE (2002)
25 – THE ENGLISH PATIENT (1996)

I have to say I didn’t think to include MAN ON WIRE – which is fantastic. Same goes for TOUCHING THE VOID. Both amazing documentaries.

Anyway – there is my top ten and happy to have made the list!

Comments

171 Responses to “Bonus British Film Blog”
  1. Will says:

Edgar
    I think half your ten are right. I hate This is England, it’s like a bad school play. In the Observer list it’s ahead of Shaun and My Name is Joe?! I reckon the popularity of Trainspotting was more about the filmposter and the soundtrack. It was a great time to be in Blighty lager lager lager but Slumdog or Shallow Grave are way better. There’s no Bond, Potter, Shakespeare or Caine on the list so step forward Casino Royale, Prisoner of Azkaban, Richard III and…wait for it….Without a Clue!

2. Will says:

Edgar

3. Will says:

Edgar

4. Dylan Salcedo says:

Thats a damn good list. You should’ve included Snatch. That’s Guy Ritchies best. I’m still trying to think of more great brit films.

5. Dylan Salcedo says:

6. Dylan Salcedo says:

7. Slick says:

Just finished seeing TRAINSPOTTING for the first time. Okay, I get it. The performances are fucking amazing. So dark, too. I love a filmmaker who doesn’t hold back.

That puts me at having seen four from your top ten list. Now to see about seeing the other six.

8. Slick says:

9. Slick says:

10. Started following you on Twitter just a few days ago and now I am looking through your blog. Won’t make a whole list but one of the movies I think should be on the list is ‘A death at a funeral’ The British version of course. For the life of me I don’t understand why they are doing an American version of it. It is in English after all and not, god frbid, in a foreign language. I never heard of this movie until my husband watched part of it during a flight and loved it so much that he bought the DVD. (How refreshing people that own an original DVD). I wonder what you think about that movie? Osnat http://maaslife.blogspot.com/2009/07/london-my-lovie.html

11. Started following you on Twitter just a few days ago and now I am looking through your blog. Won’t make a whole list but one of the movies I think should be on the list is ‘A death at a funeral’ The British version of course. For the life of me I don’t understand why they are doing an American version of it. It is in English after all and not, god frbid, in a foreign language. I never heard of this movie until my husband watched part of it during a flight and loved it so much that he bought the DVD. (How refreshing people that own an original DVD). I wonder what you think about that movie? Osnat http://maaslife.blogspot.com/2009/07/london-my-lovie.html

12. Started following you on Twitter just a few days ago and now I am looking through your blog. Won’t make a whole list but one of the movies I think should be on the list is ‘A death at a funeral’ The British version of course. For the life of me I don’t understand why they are doing an American version of it. It is in English after all and not, god frbid, in a foreign language. I never heard of this movie until my husband watched part of it during a flight and loved it so much that he bought the DVD. (How refreshing people that own an original DVD). I wonder what you think about that movie? Osnat http://maaslife.blogspot.com/2009/07/london-my-lovie.html

13. Danny Smith says:

i JUST finished watching shaun for the first time in like two years.

Damn that’s Eerie.

14. Peter Urkowitz says:

Great to see “Withnail and I” and “My Beautiful Laundrette” on the list! Strange how many of these I have never seen. . . I saw tons of movies in the 1980′s, but dropped off a lot after that. I have a lot of catching up to do!

15. Peter Urkowitz says:

16. Peter Urkowitz says:

17. ColinJ says:

DEAD MAN’S SHOES is an inspired choice. It’s like our generations GET CARTER.

Oooooohhh, GET CARTER… why isn’t that in the top 20?

18. ColinJ says:

DEAD MAN’S SHOES is an inspired choice. It’s like our generations GET CARTER.

Oooooohhh, GET CARTER… why isn’t that in the top 20?

19. ColinJ says:

DEAD MAN’S SHOES is an inspired choice. It’s like our generations GET CARTER.

Oooooohhh, GET CARTER… why isn’t that in the top 20?

20. Lauren says:

Looks like my Netflix queue could use an update! Thanks for sharing, Edgar. I’m always on the lookout for a well-made film, British or otherwise. Congrats on #18, but I would have placed Shaun higher. At least top 10 :)

21. Lauren says:

22. Lauren says:

23. Sexy Beast is set mostly in Spain and The Descent was set in the U.S. and had a multinational cast. But because I like you, I’ll tell you what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna let you go ahead and keep those on the list. Don’t say I never did anything for ya.

• Edgar Wright says:

Sexy Beast was a Film Four film – with British money, a Brit director, Brit cast and half of it is set in London. So that counts.

And the Descent, while set in the U.S. was all shot in the UK, Pinewood Studios, with Brit money, Brit director, Brit crew etc (including FISTFUL OF FINGERS designer, Simon Bowles).

24. Sexy Beast is set mostly in Spain and The Descent was set in the U.S. and had a multinational cast. But because I like you, I’ll tell you what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna let you go ahead and keep those on the list. Don’t say I never did anything for ya.

25. Sexy Beast is set mostly in Spain and The Descent was set in the U.S. and had a multinational cast. But because I like you, I’ll tell you what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna let you go ahead and keep those on the list. Don’t say I never did anything for ya.

• Edgar Wright says:

• Edgar Wright says:

26. Sarah5636 says:

I’ve seen 8 out of 10 films off your list, i have to agree as much as i love This Is England i prefer to watch Dead Mans Shoes, it’s my fave Shane Meadows film. I’ve still got to watch Hunger.
    That’s pretty bizzare that Hot Fuzz isn’t classed as a British film just because of the Bad Boys 2 clips.
    Glad SOTD made the list still think it should have been further up than 18. :D

PS I haven’t seen Man On Wire yet, but Touching The Void is fantastic.

Glad SOTD made the list still think it should have been further up than 18. :D

PS I haven’t seen Man On Wire yet, but Touching The Void is fantastic.

Glad SOTD made the list still think it should have been further up than 18. :D

PS I haven’t seen Man On Wire yet, but Touching The Void is fantastic.

29. jesse says:

Brilliant top 10, Dead Mans shoes is such a great film, also, props for including the descent, that film scared the bejesus outta me, there’s a sequel coming out but it’ll probably be pants.

30. jesse says:

31. jesse says:

32. KINGJONG says:

Edgar-

Glad to see the Low Down made it onto your list! Thraves is a very underrated director. Worked with him doing pyro/art dept. on a Manic Street Preachers clip (So Why So Sad) and always wondered why he wasn’t directing more features.

Couldn’t compile only 10 films I really loved, and even at 20 I left some off. Here they are in no particular order:

The Hit (Dir. Stephen Frears – 1985)
    Naked (Dir. Mike Leigh – 1993)
    Sid & Nancy (Dir. Alex Cox – 1986)
    Shallow Grave (Dir. Danny Boyle – 1994)
    Shaun of the Dead (Dir. Edgar Wright – 2004)
    Welcome to Sarajevo (Dir. Michael Winterbottom – 1997)
    The General (Dir. John Boorman – 1998)
    Son of Rambow (Dir. Garth Jennings – 2007)
    Trainspotting (Dir. Danny Boyle – 1996)
    A Fish Called Wanda (Dir: Charles Crichton – 1988)
    Layer Cake (Dir. Matthew Vaughn – 2004)
    Mona Lisa (Dir: Neil Jordan – 1986)
    Sexy Beast (Dir. Jonathan Glazer – 2000)
    Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (Dir. Guy Ritchie – 1998)
    Morvern Callar (Dir. Lynne Ramsey – 2002)
    24 Hour Party People (Dir. Michael Winterbottom –
    This Is England (Dir. Shane Meadows – 2006)
    London Kills Me (Dir. Hanif Kureshi – 1991)
    Withnail & I (Dir. Bruce Robinson – 1987)
    In Bruges (Dir. Martin McDonagh – 2008)

Kevin

33. KINGJONG says:

Edgar-

The Hit (Dir. Stephen Frears – 1985)
    Naked (Dir. Mike Leigh – 1993)
    Sid & Nancy (Dir. Alex Cox – 1986)
    Shallow Grave (Dir. Danny Boyle – 1994)
    Shaun of the Dead (Dir. Edgar Wright – 2004)
    Welcome to Sarajevo (Dir. Michael Winterbottom – 1997)
    The General (Dir. John Boorman – 1998)
    Son of Rambow (Dir. Garth Jennings – 2007)
    Trainspotting (Dir. Danny Boyle – 1996)
    A Fish Called Wanda (Dir: Charles Crichton – 1988)
    Layer Cake (Dir. Matthew Vaughn – 2004)
    Mona Lisa (Dir: Neil Jordan – 1986)
    Sexy Beast (Dir. Jonathan Glazer – 2000)
    Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (Dir. Guy Ritchie – 1998)
    Morvern Callar (Dir. Lynne Ramsey – 2002)
    24 Hour Party People (Dir. Michael Winterbottom –
    This Is England (Dir. Shane Meadows – 2006)
    London Kills Me (Dir. Hanif Kureshi – 1991)
    Withnail & I (Dir. Bruce Robinson – 1987)
    In Bruges (Dir. Martin McDonagh – 2008)

Kevin

34. KINGJONG says:

Edgar-

The Hit (Dir. Stephen Frears – 1985)
    Naked (Dir. Mike Leigh – 1993)
    Sid & Nancy (Dir. Alex Cox – 1986)
    Shallow Grave (Dir. Danny Boyle – 1994)
    Shaun of the Dead (Dir. Edgar Wright – 2004)
    Welcome to Sarajevo (Dir. Michael Winterbottom – 1997)
    The General (Dir. John Boorman – 1998)
    Son of Rambow (Dir. Garth Jennings – 2007)
    Trainspotting (Dir. Danny Boyle – 1996)
    A Fish Called Wanda (Dir: Charles Crichton – 1988)
    Layer Cake (Dir. Matthew Vaughn – 2004)
    Mona Lisa (Dir: Neil Jordan – 1986)
    Sexy Beast (Dir. Jonathan Glazer – 2000)
    Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (Dir. Guy Ritchie – 1998)
    Morvern Callar (Dir. Lynne Ramsey – 2002)
    24 Hour Party People (Dir. Michael Winterbottom –
    This Is England (Dir. Shane Meadows – 2006)
    London Kills Me (Dir. Hanif Kureshi – 1991)
    Withnail & I (Dir. Bruce Robinson – 1987)
    In Bruges (Dir. Martin McDonagh – 2008)

Kevin

35. Red says:

Well that just added a lot of titles to my never ending list of movies that I need to see.

Glad you made the list!

36. Red says:

Glad you made the list!

37. Red says:

Glad you made the list!

38. pieface says:

I now feel bad for not having bought the Observer. particularly as they are in trouble.

recently watched Withnail & I, in a hostel surrounded by much younger 20-25 year olds, and it was great to see that not only did they love it, they also already knew where all their favourite bits were coming up, so it wasn’t even new to most of them!

one of my favourite lines took me years to figure out (a bit like Tims ‘ticking time bomb of death daisy’) ‘reduced to the status of a bum’. Good list!

39. pieface says:

40. pieface says:

41. Wesley Riot says:

Edgar, is there an RSS feed for the posts on this blog?

42. Wesley Riot says:

Edgar, is there an RSS feed for the posts on this blog?

43. Wesley Riot says:

Edgar, is there an RSS feed for the posts on this blog?

44. D says:

Just wondering why you didn’t consider Hunger to be a grey (Brit spelling) area.
    Financed by Channel 4 with a UK setting but featuring an Irish director and cast

45. D says:

46. D says:

47. Shea says:

What do ya think of Gangster No.1?

Man! Surprised and glad to see The Descent on there.

48. Slick says:

You left out a ridiculously brilliant film.

SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

Ever heard of it?

49. SarahAC says:

Does “A Fish Called Wanda” count as British?
    I like Trainspotting too. And Brazil. And of course Shaun & Fuzz.
    Amongst others.
    And plenty which are more than 25 years old too.

Does “A Fish Called Wanda” count as British?
    I like Trainspotting too. And Brazil. And of course Shaun & Fuzz.
    Amongst others.
    And plenty which are more than 25 years old too.

Does “A Fish Called Wanda” count as British?
    I like Trainspotting too. And Brazil. And of course Shaun & Fuzz.
    Amongst others.
    And plenty which are more than 25 years old too.

52. ioulia says:

This list is a reminder to update my Netflix queue… in any case, I would have liked to see Morvern Callar on the list, one of my favorite films of all time.

53. ioulia says:

54. ioulia says:

55. Slick says:

You left out a ridiculously brilliant film.

SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

Ever heard of it?

56. Colin says:

I’m a Wright/Pegg/Frost super-fan. But I have to nominate WITHNAIL AND I as my favourite British film of all time.

57. ColinJ says:

58. ColinJ says:

59. Zombie'sRottenBallsack (a.k.a. muush) says:

i absolutely adore 24 hour party people, and Simon Pegg’s on it

60. Zombie'sRottenBallsack (a.k.a. says:

i absolutely adore 24 hour party people, and Simon Pegg’s on it

61. Zombie'sRottenBallsack (a.k.a. says:

i absolutely adore 24 hour party people, and Simon Pegg’s on it

62. Michelle says:

LOVE Trainspotting. Actually, love all of Danny Boyle’s stuff. I met him once – Edgar, you’ve got competition for the Kindest Director award. Sunshine is one of my favorite (American spelling) films ever. Would that not count either? I’m pretty certain it was filmed in England. I’m not sure exactly how strict the guidelines are here.

63. Michestellar says:

64. FairyGodmoose says:

Hmm…of those films, I’ve only seen Slumdog Millionaire and Shaun of the Dead, both of which totally deserve to be on that list. Congratulations, Edgar!

65. FairyGodmoose says:

66. Jacobunny says:

Nice list!

Interesting to see that you rate Dead Man’s Shoes over This Is England. I love Shane Meadows’ films; he seems to connect so naturally with working class England (admittedly I’m not the best judge, being from NZ – though I did stay with friends in the midlands for a couple of weeks one time). My (now) wife and I got together the night after seeing A Room for Romeo Brass at our local international film festival in 2000. Also surprised to see Sexy Beast made the Observer’s top 25 at all – I thought it barked – when no Ken Loach films made it in. My Name Is Joe would be on my list for sure. But that’s the subjective nature of such lists I guess.

And because I am the kind of filmgeek who also loves this kind of thing here is my list (11 as I couldn’t decide which one to chop):

This Is England (Shane Meadows, 2006)
    Deep Water (Louise Osmond/Jerry Rothwell, 2006)
    Withnail And I (Bruce Robinson, 1987)
    Control (Anton Corbijn, 2007)
    The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover (Peter Greenaway, 1989)
    Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, 1996)
    My Beautiful Laundrette (Stephen Frears, 1985)
    Persuasion (Roger Michell, 1995)
    The Descent (Neil Marshall, 2005)
    The Mission (Roland Joffé, 1986)

I too would have Brazil in there in a second if you hadn’t pointed out that it was so confusing. In fact I’m not sure what elese on my list would fall into that category, but too bad. Also, I’m sure Hunger and possibly Man on Wire might’ve made it on there too but I haven’t seen them – only heard/read good things. Plus I only remember seeing High Hopes by Mike Leigh otherwise something of his might have made it.

• Jacobunny says:

Whoops! That should read:

Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)

*o*

• edgar wright says:

RIFF RAFF is a Ken Loach film.

I love SMALL TIME, THIS IS ENGLAND and A ROOM FOR ROMEO BRASS – but if I had to pick one!

Ditto with Mike Leigh, also love NAKED, SECRET AND LIES, HIGH HOPES and HAPPY GO LUCKY too.

• Jacobunny says:

Ha! My bad. I’ve seen a most of Loach’s more recent stuff but Riff Raff passed me by as my viewing only started with Land and Freedom which screened here in 96 or 97?

I’m still a bit up in the air on whether i prefer Romeo Brass or This is England, but we have them all on DVD except the Once Upon a Time in the Midlands which was a bit of a misstep I thought.

67. Jacobunny says:

Nice list!

This Is England (Shane Meadows, 2006)
    Deep Water (Louise Osmond/Jerry Rothwell, 2006)
    Withnail And I (Bruce Robinson, 1987)
    Control (Anton Corbijn, 2007)
    The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover (Peter Greenaway, 1989)
    Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, 1996)
    My Beautiful Laundrette (Stephen Frears, 1985)
    Persuasion (Roger Michell, 1995)
    The Descent (Neil Marshall, 2005)
    The Mission (Roland Joffé, 1986)

• Jacobunny says:

Whoops! That should read:

Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)

*o*

• Jacobunny says:

Whoops! That should read:

Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)

*o*

• Edgar Wright says:

RIFF RAFF is a Ken Loach film.

• Jacobunny says:

• Jacobunny says:

• Edgar Wright says:

RIFF RAFF is a Ken Loach film.

68. Patrick Lee says:

Edgar! I should have figured you for a Withnail & I fan, one of my all time favourites (Canadian spelling). I’m also really glad to see it place so high in the overall list. At the risk of sounding like I’m gushing (which I guess I am), I’d say Withnail is my second favourite movie, after only Shaun of the Dead. Can’t wait for Scott Pilgrim!

Also, if not for the one film per director rule, How To Get Ahead In Advertising is also amazing. Equally amazing, even, as Withnail & I, but if you could only choose one of the two Withnail does have that certain something special. Also: Hot Fuzz.

Okay, I’m finished.

69. Patrick Lee says:

Okay, I’m finished.

70. SarahA says:

Hot Fuzz DIDN’T make it, I am astonished…?!?!!?

71. SarahA says:

Hot Fuzz DIDN’T make it, I am astonished…?!?!!?

72. Jay says:

That is a fantastic list of films. There are a few I’ve not seen, but I’m adding them to the Netflix queue forthwith.

73. Jay says:

74. weetiger says:

Shaun of the Dead is a ridiculously brilliant film!

I have to say Mr. Wright, I love your list. I guess I’ll have to finally see The Descent. (I loved Dog Soldiers.)

As for the Observer’s overall list, I’m glad to see Shane Meadows made it twice. Hunger is being released here in the States, FINALLY, and I’m very anxious to see it.

As for The English Patient, I’m with Elaine Benis…boring! (Although I seldom admit that, if only out of respect for the late great Anthony Minghella)

Shaun of the Dead is a ridiculously brilliant film!

76. Amber G says:

Yay ! Those are some great films on that list… But I think Shaun should’ve been #1 :)

78. Breanne says:

This list makes me feel like I should finally see The English Patient. The idea makes me a little squirmy, but I guess I must.

Congrats on Shaun getting a mention!

79. Breanne says:

Congrats on Shaun getting a mention!